The guidelines are as follows:
- The family should be registered members of the parish. Non parishioners must present the proper documentation from their home parish.
- At least one parent must be Catholic, but both must agree to the baptism.
- Child’s birth certificate is needed when registering for the baptism.
- Parents must attend a preparation class prior to the baptism. It is preferred that godparents also attend. Baptismal classes are held on the Thursday evening before the baptism in the rectory. English class for the 1st and 3rd Sundays, is held at 7:00 pm. Polish class for the 2nd and 4th Sunday is held at 7:30 pm. On those Thursdays which are holidays, other arrangements must be made.
- Must have received the Sacrament of Baptism and Confirmation.
- Must be a mature, practicing member of the Catholic Church who is at least 16 years old.This means regularly participating in the sacramental life of the church.
- Must be married in the Catholic Church, or living singly if not married.
- Must provide proof from their parish that they are practicing and confirmed. These documents must be presented to the church prior to the baptismal class.
- Should be someone who shares with the parents the task of handing on the faith to the child.
Usually there are two godparents, one male and one female. If you chose to have more than two, the others will be called witnesses to the ceremony. If one of the persons chosen to be a godparent is not Catholic, they too are called a witness. If for some reason a godparent cannot be present, a proxy must be present.